Monday, March 23, 2009

am i defeating the purpose of my profession?

Another term is over (3rd Quarterm SY 2008-2009). The nth term in my nth year as a teacher. This past term is not quite like the other terms though. Did I hear you ask why? Ok. Here are the reasons.
First, let us group the students into "regulars" (batch 2007) and the "specials" (the rest). I had 159 lecture students last term. 100 regulars and 59 specials.
Although I never liked failing students ("failing" here is a verb and not an adjective), it is inevitable. I don't have a "quota" (I know some teachers must fail a certain percentage of their students to protect their "credibility"), but here are the stats:
  • Around 20% of the regulars usually do not make it in my classes.
  • More than 50% of the specials ALWAYS fail.
For the recent past term, here are the stats:
  • Only 1% of the regulars failed. This means only one regular student failed.
  • Only 15% of the specials failed. That's 9 of 59. And 2 of those 9 did not attend classes regularly. So technically, only 7 of 57 failed (12%).
What the hell happened? Did I become a better teacher? I doubt that. I was the same old fart who taught the same things and told the same jokes.
Did my students shower me with gifts that I passed them for it? I don't think so. Just the wayward chocolate bar and a bottle of scent were given to me. And even if a student gives me anything and then fails to turn in the minimum requirement, he/she would still fail.
Did the students wake up one morning liking physics and performed better? That's like running in a race with an in-grown toenail.
It's not like my students are complaining about the result, almost everybody passed afterall, but what really happened? Maybe I unconsciously changed. Whatever brought that change benefited my students. Did it? They may have to ask themselves the same after a year or so.
Am I defeating the purpose of my profession? If I am, then maybe it's time to retire.

2 comments:

  1. cr. wag muna kayo mag retire...... basbasan nyo muna ung mga 08 n batch.. hehehehe, lupit nyo nmn magturo ahhh. wag muna cr. kaya p yan!!hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, Sir, almost nothing has changed. Most part of the blame must be given unto us, students. Maybe, Physics was just taken for granted last term or the urge for learning decreased.

    Retiring now isn't a good idea. There are students, many students, that hope for a better learning experience and they want to feel it with you. :) Happy Summer. See you on Mapua again ^_^ God bless!

    ReplyDelete