Monday, March 17, 2008

I Never Liked Failing Students

The final grades are in and here are the stats! Out of the 80 students, 64 passed. Of the 16 who failed this term, 6 are repeat offenders (that means they failed the same subject the previous term). The other 6 repeaters made it to the next level!
I never liked failing students for two reasons. Reason 1: If a student fails in my subject, I am partly to blame. My job is to teach and make students learn. If they did not learn, then I failed in my job. Or did I? What If I gave them all the assistance and considerations and they still failed? What If I know that I taught them the best I can and they still failed? Then I can stop kicking myself in the butt and go on to the next set of new students.
Reason 2: The tuition fee students pay is "f-ing" high that I pity the parents. I know because I'm a parent who sends my kids to school too. Whenever a student fails, money and time are wasted.
But I can't just make every student pass without him even turning in the minimum stuff needed to pass can I? It breaks my heart whenever I encode a red mark. But we all have a job to do. Teachers teach. Students study. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment