Thursday, March 13, 2008

Students Should Know Their Status

Today is the final examinations in physics. I have 80 students who'd be taking it. Less than 10 of them need not take the exam anymore. They've accumulated enough credits that they'll pass no matter what the outcome of the exam is. About the same number need not take the exam for the opposite reason. About 75% need certain scores to pass. They know what score they need. I showed them the numbers.
This is one of those things I always do. I let my students know their status before the final exam. Although they already have an idea of their performance (I return marked papers the first meeting after each test), I don't want my students to be guessing.
After the finals, i promptly mark the papers and then post the scores. I just post the scores opposite their student numbers (never opposite their names) to minimize the humiliation any failing student would feel. After they have seen their scores, very few of them see me to verify the results.
I don't understand when teachers hoard unmarked papers which they only check a day before the grades are due for submission. I always almost want to tell them "Get the hell out of teaching!".

No comments:

Post a Comment