Tuesday, March 11, 2008

There's No Money Here

There is no money in teaching. Some people are born with money. Lucky them. Those who are not as lucky work their butts off trying to earn some. All these "unlucky ones" dream of becoming rich someday. Some say it's about choosing the right career and starting from there. Choose any career but teaching they say.
There is no money in teaching. So why am I a teacher? Oh I love teachers! As a student, they were my source of amusement. Some teachers are funny. Those who were not, I made fun of. Well, my path to becoming a source of amusement to students started in 1984. That's a looooong time ago and I don't want to bore myself typing the details so I'll make it short. I became a teacher because of the difference between 600 pesos and 500 pesos. To make it shorter, I became a teacher because of 100 pesos! The details are real tearjerkers and yawn-inducing so I'll spare you.
Some people use teaching as the platform into something "better" as some of my classmates did. One's now a lawyer. The other is married to a lawyer. Some are still teaching but I know would jump away the moment the first whiff of something different comes. Some already left for some teaching job in foreign countries where the pay is ten times as much. I know at least one who's still teaching and would never leave.
If there is no money in teaching, especially in this country, why do some people stay as teachers?

No comments:

Post a Comment